‘And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favour with God and man.’
Luke 2:52 (NIV)
This verse forms the basis for the Girls’ Brigade Programme, which seeks to promote the development of the individual spiritually, intellectually, physically and socially.
All age groups are given the opportunity to achieve goals and growth in each of the four aspects of the programme each year, as well as earning awards.
The Four Sided Programme
Spiritual - Understanding the basics of Christian faith and coming to a personal faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, growing in the relationship and coming to understand God’s will for life.
Physical - Learning how to care for oneself and participate in physical activities.
Educational - Increasing knowledge and understanding – developing new skills which will equip girls for adult life.
Service - Learning to relate to others and to work as part of a team. Showing care and compassion to others in the home, community and church.
- The girls have opportunities throughout the session to take part in activities for each theme which are part of a badge system;
- The badge system is designed to reward faithful attenders and those who take part in Brigade activities - awards should not reflect academic or physical ability but rather serve to encourage participation and commitment;
- Formal testing and assessment are not required - leaders in each section will be able to evaluate the contribution made by each girl and the value she has gained from the programme;
- The programme should be adapted to suit the needs of each girl; and in particular girls with special needs; and
- The Programme Files offer ideas and suggestions for activities - leaders can adjust the material to suit local needs.
As a girl moves from one section to another, she can gain badgework awards. For more details on the types of awards available in each section and how they are achieved, click below: