Girls' Brigade is a uniformed organisation. We choose to wear uniform because it:
- Encourages a sense of belonging
- Promotes equality; and
- Sets us apart as members of a Christian organisation
Companies can decide whether members should wear ceremonial uniform each week or the more informal company night uniform.
Official GB uniform is only available from the GBNI Shop. By purchasing from the GBNI Shop you are supporting the ongoing work of the organisation. All proceeds are reinvestged into GB.
General guidelines for all uniform:
- Short hair should be neat and tidy, clear of the collar;
- Long hair should be tied back neatly;
- No medals or jewellery may be worn, with the exception of wedding and engagement rings;
- Wrist watches may be worn with ceremonial uniform. Only leaders may wear a wrist watch with working uniform;
- At no time are other brooches, awards or medals to be worn;
- Only one Attendance Award (highest achieved) may be worn
- Armband is worn on left arm;
- All shoes should be plain black, may be laced; or slip-on (T-bar, sling backs, suede or patent finish are not allowed); and
- No nail varnish should be worn. (This includes clear, nude or french polish).
PE uniform for all age groups:
This is the required uniform for all participants in PE competitions:
- Navy GB tunic with GB Crest embroidered on the left side and company title (gold lettering on navy) directly underneath in line with the point of the ‘V’ - tunic must be worn long enough to cover a girl’s underwear during all movements in routines and activities;
- White open neck short sleeved GB blouse;
- Navy pants for Explorers and Juniors, navy long legged pants for Seniors, Brigaders and Associates
- Plain white ankle socks;
- White PE slippers laced with ribbon or tape;
- White ribbon or white fastenings to tie back long hair; and
- No jewellery or nail varnish should be worn. (This includes clear, nude or french polish)
GB hoodies and coloured polo shirts are leisurewear and not uniform. Only official GB hoodies/coloured polo shirts should be worn and are only available to be ordered by Captains for their company via the GBNI Shop. Refer to the ‘GBNI Logo Branding Guidelines’ available on the leaders section.
Hoodies/Coloured Polo Shirts can be worn as follows:
- For hoodies only - company nights - to and from weekly meetings, however it should be removed before the marking of uniform;
- Coloured polo shirts should not be worn on company nights;
- Company outings, sponsored walks;
- To and from competitions and GB activities
- GB camp;
- DofE expeditions;
- Any other informal occasion and outside of GB during any leisure time; and
- Unofficial hoodies and polo shirts should not be worn.
It should be noted that what is listed under each section for uniform on these pages is the official prescribed uniform; there may be slight local variations. Parents should always check with the local leader before purchasing uniform items.
Details of ceremonial and company night uniforms for each section may be found by clicking on the relevant links below: