How can GB help you reach a community of un-churched girls and their families in your area?
Please let us know. We aim to work in close partnership with our churches/missions so that together we can encourage girls aged 3 - 18 to seek, serve and follow Christ. We want GB to work for your church and to integrate completely with your entire youth and children's ministry programmes and overall church outreach and mission plans.
Girls' Brigade has a long heritage of Christian witness in NI. We want to make sure that legacy continues but in an ever evolving way, embracing relevant ways to reach each new generation.
Perhaps there is something you would like to see different in GB?
We are here to listen to your needs. We want GB to be a flexible model to work for your church, in your local area. Contact the GBNI National Secretary if you have any queries or suggestions.
Our vision in GBNI is to be a relevant dynamic, Christ-centred, organisation reaching out to all girls to value, nurture and equip them for life.
The GB programme should be balanced and include Scripture teaching, Physical activity - sport/dance including competitions, Educational - badgework topics and Service in church and community.
All companies must allocate enough 'time out' during their GB evening for the teaching of God's word using our GB Scripture Courses. In recent years we have worked very hard to ensure our Bible teaching material is scripturally faithful and presented in a lively, modern, relevant way to our girls. There is enough material in this resource for Bible class each week of the GB session. Click here to read more about our GB scripture Courses.
The GB Chaplain's Role
An ordained minister, deaconess, elder or other commissioned church/mission worker.
- Responsible to:
The church oversight
- Responsible for:
Overall spiritual and pastoral oversight of the company.
The Chaplain is the most senior officer in the GB company.
Main duties & responsibilities
- Ensure that the Company promotes the Aim of The Girls' Brigade which is 'To help girls to become followers of the Lord Jesus Christ, and through self-control, reverence and a sense of responsibility, to find true enrichment of life.'
- Appointment and interview of new GB leaders (Officers, Sub-Officers and helpers) in consultation with the church/mission over-sight and the Company Captain.
- Support the leaders in their work and offer pastoral support to them on behalf of the church/mission.
- Provide a link between the church/mission and promote teamwork among all involved.
- Attend GB leadership meetings as appropriate, and be fully involved in the decision making processes of the company.
- Visit the company when possible to support, encourage and to get to know the members. Chaplains often take the weekly bible classes.
- Offer advice on the worship and Christian education material used in each of the sections of the Company.
- Advise and provide information for the Captain and Officers regarding church/ mission policies and procedures regarding Child Protection, Drug Abuse, Health & Safety etc and ensure that all leaders are complying with those procedures.
- Check Insurance cover: In brief, GBNI central insurance covers leaders, including leaders' indemnity, helpers, girls involved in all regular GB activities and the church needs insurance for the premises.
- On behalf of the church, ensure that the Company is operating within financial limits and that property is adequately maintained and meets Health & Safety standards.
'Managing a GB Company' a handbook for GB Chaplains was launched late 2008 and is available to purchase from our walk in shop at GBHQ. It can also be ordered online fromwww.gbnishop.co.uk in the GBNI Publications section priced £3.00. One complimentary copy has been distributed to each GB Chaplain. Click here to download and view a copy online.
GBNI Chaplains can access our full range of free resources, make online bookings, download paperwork and join our e-news mailing list from the Leaders' Section. You have to register once to use this part of the web site, and thereafter access it by using your registered email address and selected password.
Click here to view our Complaints Procedure for advice and guidance if a complaint arises in your company.
GB Enrolment Service
View GB Enrolment Service - Guidelines.
If you are a minister/pastor/church leader and currently do not have a GB company in your church/mission please click here to find out how to start GB in your church.